23.5 C
Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Resident Return Visa

155 (Resident Return) Visa

Once you obtain a permanent visa, it remains valid for the initial five-year period. While this duration serves as a travel convenience, exceeding the five-year mark does not terminate your right to live permanently in Australia. However, it does impact your ability to leave and re-enter the country as a permanent resident.

The Subclass 155 (Resident Return) Visa offers a travel facility of up to five years from the date of grant.

You may be granted a Category 155 Visa if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • Meet the necessary residency requirements for a five-year travel facility.
  • Have significant ties to Australia, allowing for a one-year travel facility.
  • Are a family member of an individual who holds a resident return visa or has applied for one and meets the requirements for grant, granting you a travel facility of up to one year.


  • Travel Facility: You can travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident until the travel facility of your visa expires.
  • Visa Renewal: If you leave Australia after your permanent visa travel facility has expired, you must apply for and be granted the Subclass 155 visa before your return to Australia as a permanent resident.
  • Optional Application: If you are already in Australia as a permanent resident and do not intend to travel, there is no requirement to apply for this visa.
  • Multiple Applications: There are no limits on the number of Resident Return visas (RRV) you can apply for.


  • The applicant is eligible if any of the following conditions are met:
  • Australian Permanent Resident: You must be an Australian permanent resident.
  • Former Permanent Resident: You must be a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not canceled.
  • Former Australian Citizen: You must be a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced Australian citizenship. Australian citizens cannot apply for an RRV.

157 (Resident Return) Visa

The Subclass 157 (Resident Return) Visa provides a three-month travel facility from the date of grant. This visa option is available to permanent residents who have spent less than two years physically present in Australia and have not yet formed strong attachments to the country. For example, if you moved to Australia shortly before your migrant travel facility expired and needed to travel overseas before establishing significant connections.

Like the Subclass 155 visa, your permanent residence does not expire if you remain in Australia beyond the three-month validity period. However, it does affect your ability to depart and re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.

A Category 157 Visa may be granted if you meet the following requirements:

  • Previous Residence: You were an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen throughout your time in Australia when applying for this visa.
  • Residency Period: You lawfully resided in Australia for at least one day but no more than two years in the five years preceding the application.
  • Compelling Reasons: There must be a compelling and compassionate reason for leaving Australia.

To assess your eligibility for a Resident Return Visa or to obtain further information, Please book a FREE consultation now.



Quick & Easy Steps to Migrate to Australia

Your qualify

your documents

your application

Visa Grant