FBP InternationalFBP InternationalFBP International

Subclass 884 (Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)) Visa

Parent Visas

Subclass 884 (Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)) Visa

A Subclass 884 (Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)) Visa allows an elderly or aged parent of an established Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia, or qualifying citizen of New Zealand to enter Australia temporarily.

Benefits of Subclass 884

With a Subclass 884 visa, individuals can:

  • Live in Australia for up to 2 years
  • Work and study in Australia (without government support)
  • Apply for a permanent Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864)

Individuals who wish to distribute the expense of the Permanent Contributory Aged Parent Visa over many years can apply in two steps:

➢ Firstly, apply for a Subclass 884 (Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)) Visa
➢ Next, apply for the Subclass 864 (Contributory Aged Parent) Visa


Individuals must adhere to the following requirements to be eligible to apply for a Subclass 884 Visa:

  • Not have:
    ○ Applied for or hold the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) Visa
    ○ A ‘no further stay’ condition on the current visa
  • Have a sponsor that is:
    ○ An eligible child over 18 years, or
    ○ An eligible relative or community organisation
    ○ Approved
  • Be old enough to receive a pension in Australia
  • Meet the balance-of-family test
  • Meet the health requirements
  • Meet the character requirements
Location when Applying

Individuals and any family members applying must be in Australia when they apply and when the decision is made.

Including Family

Individuals are permitted to include the members of their family unit in their application. Details of all family members – regardless of whether they are migrating – must be included in the application form.

Read more about Subclass 884 (Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)) Visa.

884 (Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)) Visa

Parents of permanent residents of Australia or a settled Australian citizen are eligible to apply 884 aged parent visa

This is an “onshore” visa application. This creates a bridging visa to stay in Australia.

The Contributory Aged Parent Visa 884. The Contributing Age Parent visa 884 is a visa that applies to permanent residents of Australia or the parents of a settled Australian citizen who wishes to stay temporarily. The visa also only allows its holder to work in Australia for 2 years.

Contribution Parent (Subclass 884) is a temporary visa that allows parents of Australian citizens/permanent residents.

Step 1Start your Process with FBP
Step 2Check your eligibility
Step 3Submit all your documents
Step 4Lodge Visa application
Step 5Receive 884 Visa Grant
  • Live in Australia for up to 2 years
  • Work and study in Australia (no government support available)
  • Permanently Paid Elderly Parent Application
  • You should be at the age at which you’re eligible for an Age Pension in Australia (sixty-five years old)
  • The Australian Department of Home Affairs grants parent visas to citizens who have children living in Australia as permanent residents or who have “settled” in Australia. “Settlement” means that the individual must have been a resident of Australia for a reasonable period of time, usually two years under policy.
  • To be eligible for this visa, applicants must pass a family balance test. The test states that the applicant must have at least half of their children living in Australia as Australian citizens or permanent residents, or have more children living in Australia than in any other country. All children, including stepchildren and foster children of both parents, count toward the family test balance.
  • Sponsoring Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) Did not apply for a visa or did not have a visa when applying for this visa.

Bridging Visa

  • If you are in Australia as a holder of a valid visa (such as a visitor visa) and are applying for a parent visa (subclass 884/864), you may be issued a so-called temporary “A” visa (BVA). ). The BVA allows you to stay legally in Australia while your visa application is pending.
  • If you are traveling outside of Australia, your BVA may end (depending on your circumstances) and you may not be eligible to “re-enter” Australia. So, if you need to travel while your visa is being processed, you may first need to obtain a so-called “intermediate B” visa (BVB). BVB allows limited travel while your application is being processed in Australia. The standard period allowed for travel during application processing is 3 months. You have full work rights as long as your temporary visa is valid.

Health insurance

Subclass 864 (permanent) and Subclass 884 (temporary) visa holders are eligible for national health insurance known as Medicare. If you applied for a cumulative parent visa, you can get a Medicare card. If you apply for a permanent sponsor visa in person without a temporary sponsor visa, you will not be eligible until you receive a permanent sponsor visa.