FBP InternationalFBP InternationalFBP International

Subclass 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa

Parent Visas

Subclass 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa

The Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa is a temporary visa that allows a parent of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen to reside in Australia temporarily.

Benefits of Subclass 173

With a Subclass 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa, an individual has the following benefits:

  • Stay in Australia for up to 2 years
  • Work and study in Australia as no government support will be provided
  • Enrol in Medicare
  • Apply for a Contributory Parent (Permanent) Vis (Subclass 143)

Individuals who wish to distribute the expense of the permanent contributory parent visa over the course of many years can apply in two steps:

➢ Firstly, apply for a Subclass 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa
➢ Next, apply for the Subclass 143 (Contributory Parent) Visa


To be eligible to apply for Subclass 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa, individuals must meet the following requirements:

  • Not have applied for or hold the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) Visa
  • Be sponsored for the visa by:
    ○ An eligible child
    ○ A child over 18 years
    ○ An eligible relative or community organisation
  • Meet the balance-of-family test:
    ○ At least half of the children and step-children are eligible children, or
    ○ The number of eligible children living in Australia are more than in any other country
  • Meet the health requirements
  • Meet the character requirements
Location when Applying

Individuals can be in or outside Australia when applying for the visa. If applying in Australia, any family members applying simultaneously should also be in the country. Similarly, if individuals are applying when outside Australia, any family members applying simultaneously should also be outside the country.

Including Family

One can include family unit members in their application.

Read more about Subclass 173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa.

173 (Contributory Parent (Temporary)) Visa

Individuals can be their parents for up to 2 years if they apply 173 temporary visa.

If your child lives in Australia and wants to visit, you can apply for a Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 173). Your child must be legally resident in Australia.

The Subclass 173 visa allows parents of Australian citizens living in Australia to work and study in Australia for up to two years. Visa holders can apply for a permanent subclass 143 parent visa for two years.

This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident. If you are granted this visa and want to stay in Australia permanently, you can then apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

Step 1Start your Process with FBP
Step 2Check your eligibility
Step 3Submit all your documents
Step 4Lodge Visa application
Step 5Receive 173 Visa Grant

The step-by-step process for obtaining an additional 173 parent visas is as follows:

  • Your child completes the Sponsorship for Migration to Australia Form 40
  • You collect the required documents for the 173 Visa.
  • You mail the documents to your child in Australia.
  • You or your child/sponsor pay the first installment of the 173 Visa.
  • Your child/sponsor submits the documents to the Parent Visa Centre (PVC) of the Department of Home Affairs via
  • prepaid post or by courier. A completed and signed Australian Immigration Sponsorship Form must be attached to the document.
  • Once submitted, the Parent Visa Application Center will evaluate your application eligibility and queue it for processing.

The visa application review process is as follows:

  • You observe for the visa and pay the primary installment of the fee.
  • The PVC will evaluate your eligibility for the visa. If you’re eligible, they vicinity your utility at the processing queue.
  • You wait till an area opens up. This is the component that takes the longest.
  • Once it’s far your flip and an area has opened up, the PVC will begin the very last processing vicinity to your visa.
  • You pay the second one instalment of the visa fee. You obtain the visa.

You can apply for a temporary parent visa only if the following conditions are met:

  • The child who will be sponsoring you lives in Australia. Your child must:
  • You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or qualified New Zealand citizen.
  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You must be able to cover living expenses and debts owed to the Australian government.
  • You and your child have passed the Family Balance Test. Basically, this means that Australia has more children than any other country.
  • Meets Australian health requirements.
  • To determine if you are eligible for this qualification, Australian immigration authorities will tell you where you need to be screened, depending on where you live.
  • There is no criminal charge and meets the character requirements of the visa.
  • There are no previously denied Australian visas.

Balance of family test
Half or majority of a children should be permanent resident of Australia.

Applicant must 18 years or above to apply for a visa.

Sponsor must be 18 years and above to sponsor.

Sponsor shouldn’t have any debt to the government of Australia if any must repay.

Refusal or cancellation
Applicant might not be able to apply for visa if visa gets rejected or cancelled while they are in Australia.

Duration of the visa
visa is valid up to 2 years from the date you enter.

Applicant’s obligation
Applicant should comply with law and visa conditions of the country.

Onshore or Offshore
Applicant could be onshore or offshore while lodging applicant, however, has to be offshore at time of decision.

You could enroll in free Medicare.